The story of Novak Djokovic raises new questions about whether Australia should host this year’s Open and whether we can lose the event altogether.
Renowned tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg has denied that Australia lost its Grand Slam in the ongoing Novak Djokovic story.
From the beginning of the Djokovic scandal The eyes of the world are on Australia And its response to the Kovid-19 epidemic Such controversy culminates.
In some quarters, Australia has been called upon to lose its Grand Slam.
Watch tennis live with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. Live coverage of the ATP + WTA Tour Tournament with each final match. Kayo new? Start your free trial>
Annotated American star Tenny Sandgren, who has criticized Australia in the past, Especially in the vicinity of quarantine Before the 2021 Australian Open, Clipped the nation again At the beginning of the story when he wrote: “Australia does not deserve to host a Grand Slam.”
Sandgren has reportedly not applied for medical exemption and will not be competing in the 2022 Australian Open.
He is far from the only person calling for the event to be snatched from Melbourne Park.
A Politico Piece title Novak Djokovic is in exile in Australia Australian Open director Craig Tiley has hinted that Melbourne could be at risk of losing the Open.
The comments came as it was believed the Australian Open could be postponed or canceled, with Tiley warning that it could be “catastrophic” and saying the Grand Slam held in Australia since 1905 could be a victim.
It was not held in Australia during the First and Second World Wars.
“It’s always (a threat to the relocation event),” Tilly told SEN last year.
“Even though we have an agreement with the government until 2039, that does not mean that if we do not have the event for a few years and another country spends a lot of money on a big event that is easy to play. Then they (top players) will not come here.
But Rothenberg shut down the talks as soon as they began, denouncing the remarks as “a scary strategy to get more funding.”
In response to a Twitter user who said that “Aussie has a real risk of losing the Grand Slam”, Rothenberg wrote: “No, not at all. Tennis pillars, ever hunting.
“It simply came to our notice then.
The comments appear to have been backed by the likes of former Australian Open semifinalist politician John Alexander, although he still had a word of caution.
Speaking at the ABC Radio National breakfast, Bennellong, a 70-year-old member, said that while Australia would not lose the first Grand Slam tournament of the year, it could still be bad news for the Open.
“We can’t lose it (Australian Open) but we can lose,” Alexander said. “If the Australian Open creates conditions that people can meet but then are not allowed to come, it will not help our situation.
“We’ve been poor cousins at four events before, but with the establishment of Melbourne Park, it’s significantly the best venue for a Grand Slam.
“There’s a lot going on for us, but we have to be careful and we have to show that people will be allowed in their country if they meet the criteria.”
Federal Immigration Minister Alex Hawke on Friday Djokovic’s visa revoked, Which has been sparked A new legal battle Just a few days out The start of the Australian Open.
After a preliminary hearing last night, Djokovic will meet with government officials at 8 a.m. today, where he will be formally detained.
He will be able to go to his lawyers’ office to help prepare for the case before being arrested later in the day.
The final hearing is scheduled for Sunday morning.